Tuesday, September 11, 2007

How to handle spec change requests.

When I went looking for a new guild several of them wanted me to change to survival/MM spec. Here's how most of the conversations went.

Officer: We'll need you change to a 0/41/20 spec, is that ok?
Me: Actually, I'd like to stay BM. I play my hunter for max damage and changing my spec will lower my damage output.
Officer: Your job will be to trap and scatter shot. Leave the damage to the mages and rogues.
Me: I'm sorry, you're guild is looking for something that I can't provide.

Finally I found Savage Desire are conversation was a bit different.

Officer: We'll need you change to a 0/41/20 spec, is that ok?
Me: No.
Officer: Huh??
Me: No. I'm a hunter. I do damage. That's my job.
Officer: Your job will be to trap and scatter shot. Leave the damage to the mages and rogues.
Me: I'll make you a deal.
Officer: What's that.
Me: Let me run Kara one time as BM. If my traps breaking early cause a wipe or if I'm less then 3rd place in the damage meters against similarly geared players I'll respec.
Officer: Fine, I'll invite but you still need to talk to the GM.

A few days later I spoke with the GM.
Me: So Officer say I'll need to respec to a MM/Surv spec. Yeah, I kinda refuse to do that. My traps should be fine as is. Is this going to be a problem?
GM: Well I don't really know anything about hunters so as long as you feel that you can pull your weight in Kara, do whatever you're most comfortable with.

/sigh of relief.

This easily could have turned into a bad situation. If the GM refused to budge I would have left. If the GM had said "Let's try your spec and we'll go from there." I would have stayed. Tonight is my first Kara run with Savage desire. If I n00b up the place I will gladly do what's best for the guild and switch to a spec that I hate (sorry guys, just personal taste). Why? Because it's the right thing to do. However if I rock the joint and become the adoration of squishies everywhere, I will dance with every boss that we down in Kara tonight.

So whats the point of all this? Bend, but don't break. If you're looking for a new guild and they request something of you, try to compromise but that them know that you're in control of your spec. Be polite but firm about it. Be willing to change if your spec doesn't fit their strategy. Remember there are 9 other people running Kara with you. You're there to help everyone get phat lewt, not just yourself.

2 comments:

Annai said...

You've got [Legacy] already meaning you've downed Opera. Was it with another guild? I thought I read a recent post about trouble with Maiden. And another about re-spec'ing for a guild. Color me confused. :) If you've been in a group that's cleared Opera, they shouldn't be giving you crap about your BM spec. :)

Lleu said...

Lleu was tired after ripping up Kara last night and didn't update his blog. The proper agencies have been notified and the blog is now current. Sorry for the confusion!