Friday, September 21, 2007

We've stopped trying....

In my last post post I mentioned running Heroic Mech with a Warlock that was in all epics. I don't know his spec but he was launching shadow bolts like nobodies business. After the run I posed a question to my guild. "A BM hunter and an epicced out Lock walk into Heroic Mech. Who does more damage?" Responses ranged from "The Lock, of course" to "Depends, are we counting the Hunters pet?"

My answer "YOU'RE ALL WRONG B!TCHES!" and I post the following:
That's right, Lleu blew the Lock out of the water. Was the Warlock holding back? Most definitely, although he did comment that I was doing a ton of damage. So Lleu does 49.8% of the overall damage. What's the first comment from my guild? "GG" or "Jebus that's a ton of damage!"? Nope. "you'd do more if you were MM." Says a druid.

I'm sorry what? His reasoning is that my gun does more then my pet and I'll get bigger crits with MM. What he fails to realize is that as BM your pet more then makes up for the loss of ranged damage. Above that, with Ferocious Inspiration everyone is doing 3% more damage. Now Lleu isn't a big numbers guy so what do I do? The same thing any good hunter would do in this situation. We tried to send him here. If by some miracle you found this blog via something other then BRK, go read his training list now. And take notes. There will be a test at the end.

He refused to go read and look at the theorycraft because he's "played the game for a really long time and every hunter in end game is MM/survival." Every hunter except for, you know, BRK, Annai, Me, and countless others that have seen the light and are speced for damage.

At this point I kindly told him that I was done with him and if he continued to complain about my spec I would take my cat and go to a guild that likes DPS. I play this game for fun and defending my spec while topping the Damage meters every run is not my idea of a good time.

Let me mention that at no point have I ever said the BM is the only viable option for hunters. I'm a huge fan of trying new specs and looking like a total fool. What I've said is that BM works for me. If you want to run around Kara trying to quad trap without your pet out that's your deal. But to tell someone they have to respec because "everyone else is MM/surv" is wrong. Not everyone is. In fact, there are a lot of specs for all classes that I look at and think wtf is that guy doing?! but it works for him so I happy that he's happy.

Will Lleu stay with Savage Desire? Will he start a guild of his own? Will Slappy rip out this druids throat and piss on it bloody carcass? Stay tuned for the next installment of As the Guildies Turns!

1 comment:

Annai said...

Thanks for the second shout out! :) I don't claim to be uber, but I do think BM > MM for end-game PvE. Have your unbelieving friend take a look at Hunters in Nihilium, Death and Taxes and elsewhere on the Armory. Most of 'em are BM.

Also, I think your math on the damage % in your Mech run might be a little inflated. If you're using Recount, it does some weird math. I think your 35% included your pet. Still nothing to sneeze at. Even if the 'lock was holding back a lot, if he outgeared you, it's a pretty good pile of DPS you're bringing. Plus... you can CC just about anything, where he can only deal with certain kinds of mobs.

If the other guy thinks MM is the way to go, let him level one up and spec it that way and see how he does. :)